Sunday, October 27, 2013

Weeks 5 and 6

Past the halfway point and now the 2/3 point. We had some really great lectures this week and some really hot classes. Really hot. I've had some personal insights that I've noticed in myself these past couple of weeks.

It is really amazing what the heat can do for you. Aside from the physiological benefits (of which there are many) it is a huge factor in improving your focus and concentration abilities. Here at TT the difficulty is raised way higher than in normal classes, whether it be the heat, the length of the class, or any other odd factor. All of these things serve to improve our mental fortitude and make us stronger yogis by improving willpower, which is the most important benefit of this yoga in my life.

As I overcome more challenges in the hot room, fewer things seem challenging outside of it. Lack of sleep, sickness, hunger, boredom, overwhelming emotions, even many types of injuries... are all things that can be overcome and worked through with willpower alone, and I have learned a lot about how to do that from the rigors of the last couple of weeks. I also learned a lot about when to push harder and when to relax. I reached my limit on multiple occasions and I found that it was okay to admit that and move on.

So next time you feel like you're burning up and you can't take it anymore; go to your limit and stay there for a while. You'll be amazed at the benefits to your mental strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment